Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Sharing a YouTube video in Adobe Connect


"Do I really have to upload my videos directly to the content library? Can't I just share my YouTube videos?"

I used to get that question a lot from customers, and for a long time, my answer was to download the videos from YouTube and upload them to the Share pod in a meeting. Then late last year, as part of our annual training event at Adobe, we decided to run a friendly 'custom pod development' contest, and with a little help from Flex.org, the YouTube chromeless player, and (borrowing) a little code from Alistair Lee's awesome Twitter pod, I came up with an app that lets you search and display YouTube videos within a meeting. For the lack of a better name, I called it ConnectTube (very original, right?). You can find it on the official Adobe Connect extensions page.

A few weeks after ConnectTube was posted on Adobe.com, I received a request from a customer for an 'HD' version of the pod, to allow for 720p video within Connect (the original version of ConnectTube had the video player size hard coded to 480x360). I was really hoping to change the code so that the frame size scales automatically, but unfortunately, I didn't have a ton of time so ended up hard coding the larger frame size. I'll get around to it someday. In any case, here are the two pods - download 'em and try uploading them into your meeting room.

The pods are pretty easy to use (I think), but here's a quick rundown of how it works:
  • Once the pod loads into your meeting, the meeting host can enter keywords to search YouTube. Results are displayed in a datagrid on the right (not visible to participants). The host selects the video and hits the play button. That should play the video for everyone.
  • To play the video for everyone, make sure to use the Play button along the bottom of the pod, rather than clicking on the video to play.
  • If the pod is in 'Unsync' mode, each participant can search YouTube on their own.
A few caveats:
  • ConnectTube does not work in recordings - any searches conducted in a live session do not repeat in a recording
  • Make sure that you STOP the video playback before switching to another document or switching to another layout. Otherwise, you may continue to hear the audio playback from the video. 
  • Participants can control the play/pause of a video by clicking on it (feature of the chromeless player that I couldn't disable).
  • There's also YouTube branding on the bottom-right. Clicking on it will take you to YouTube.
  • YouTube sometimes changes the search results based on your location - so if you really want to be sure that everyone is seeing the same video, search for the video's ID (e.g. in this URL, the video's ID is in red: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfRnnGuhhr0)
  • 720p playback of videos isn't a great experience on older machines. My 6 year old T42p has issues playing back 720p videos, whether I try to watch them directly on YouTube or through ConnectTube.
  • Also, you really have to put the HD pod in fullscreen to see the interface and video.
Ok, I think that covers it. If you run into other issues, let me know. Or if you have ideas on improving the UI or functionality, let me know that too.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for great job.
    It seems that you posted the same dropbox links for original and HD vesion.

    Is it Ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. Thanks for letting me know. I've updated the link to the right file for the 'HD' version!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having the YouTube video appear in the recording. What would have changed to make this the case?
    Also sometimes other pods turn blank in the recording when ConnectTube is used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I am very interested in getting a scalable version of the Youtube pod! I was trying to make one myself, but my knowledge in Flash came to an abrupt halt when I started reading about doing the syncing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be nice if you could just enter the YouTube url and you could pull it in without searching. Otherwise that means that private URLs don't work. Otherwise a cool tool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, when I click to download the HD version I don't get directed to a download page. Any Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post, comments feature is very good and I take advantage from it.

    Youtube Help

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there any chance you would be willing to share the .fla source code file for this?

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful blog ever seen. I appreciate your way of expressing..

    Adobe Support

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems like YouTube has discontinued connectTube. Is there any updated version available?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Same question as binaya! Would LOVE to use this custom pod, but it doesn't seem to work. Is it a YouTube thing or an AC9 thing?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is this pod available for Adobe Connect 9

    ReplyDelete
  14. Create, share, Engage, Measure videos and get the real time statistics on views, clicks and duration on thing link

    ReplyDelete